http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/15-things-you-never-noticed-on-a-dollar-575113/
I was trying to think of an interesting post for this week’s blog. As I was checking my e-mail on yahoo this article came up and struck me as very interesting. This article outlines all the many symbols on the dollar bill that we never even notice. I find it so fascinating that something we use daily and look at all the time has so many interesting symbols. A couple of the symbols I had previously known about but many were new to me. I especially found that people noticed the small owl or spider in the corner near the one out of the ordinary. I personally think it looks more like a spider than an owl…but I guess everyone might see it differently.
I also never noticed that in the owls talons there is olive branches on one side and arrows on the other to signify war and peace two words that are used almost daily in the news. All the Latin messages are very inspirational and it’s hard for me to believe that there was so much thought put into the images on the dollar bill by people in 1782. I also was never sure how much it cost to make a dollar bill but it is interesting to know that it only costs 6.4 cents per dollar produced. It is so odd to know that there are so many things in life we use all the time and yet we know nothing about. From now on I am going to try to be more aware of things I use all the time that may have other symbols. With that being said… I should go look up the hidden meanings on all my coins...
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's so crazy! I've never even realized that before. It's funny to think that there are so many things out there like that, right under our noses! The dollar bill is so small compared to other things in the world, but it portrays something so much bigger!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the movie National Treasure haha. It's weird to think about how many times they have changed bills just in our lifetime. I found one of my wallets from when I was a kid the other day and it had an old twently dollar bill in it that I hardly recognized and it made me feel old!
ReplyDelete